PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PLEASE READ THIS AND HELP SAVE GA IN THE UK - Save the IMCR
Old 12th Dec 2007, 17:08
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As matters stand the European IR has proved universally unpopular.

Fuji,

I'm not sure that that is the full story. It's certainly the case that you don't have the rest of Europe getting worked up about this issue, but that's most likely because they aren't loosing anything. Therefore the issue doesn't get much 'airtime'. The local CAA's may not want the non IR, IFR flights, so are happy with the lack of 'airtime'.

However I suspect if the other European PILOTS (not the CAA's) were aware of the potential benefits, that they would be interested. I certainly have looked on the UK IMC rating with envy over the years. I asked the IAA would they consider something similar about two years ago, and was told no.

When you get everything up and running, if there is any spare capacity, it might be worth your while trying to make contact with other European pilot organisations (and publications to spread the word). If they were informed about the potential benefits, they may become useful allies, and be able to place pressure on their own representatives.

dp