PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How good do you think your pension is?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2001, 21:30
Flatus Veteranus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Commute or Not to Commute? That is the question! It is a highly personal decision and should not be taken without independent advice from an accountant or similar. I did not commute and have not regretted it so far, even though there has been a record bull market since I retired. Some say that "long wave" is now ending and we are in for a prolonged bear market, which would disfavour commuting. Look hard at the advice you are given and try to assess how "independent" is your adviser. Mine was one of the major banks (formerly RAF Pay Agents for names A-M). He suggested (in 1983) that I should commute sign on as a "name" at Lloyds. I thanked him for his trouble, ignored him, and some years later got down on my knees and thanked that deity that looks after drunks and pilots. Others were not so lucky. There is a once-wealthy retired wing commander around, who used to own properties in London, fine cars and private aircraft, who now lives in a council flat and rides a bike. His humour and lack of bitterness when he told his story on TV a few years ago made me very proud of my old Service. I believe he was 208, but before my time.

PS I believe my "independent adviser" was a Lloyds agent who was being paid commission on each sucker recuited.