PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PLEASE READ THIS AND HELP SAVE GA IN THE UK - Save the IMCR
Old 12th Dec 2007, 16:14
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justicar

Some very interesting comments.

I think the key issue is that in the UK we need to preserve some form of accessible instrument rating.

It is easy to forget in the detail of the debate that there is no real alternative.

As matters stand the European IR has proved universally unpopular. That is not because of the existance of the IMCr in the UK either. There is almost zero uptake in the whole of Europe. The reasons for this are well rehearsed and there is nothing on the horizon to suggest this will change.

The choice is stark.

Accept that Europe will become all but devoid of private instrument flying, that many will simply break the law and risk their own lives or the lives of others, or fight to preserve and extend a very worth while rating.

Of course we could hope that with the new EASA license will come priviliges in the future that will address this issue - however it is usually far more diffiucult to achieve those changes down the road and the history in aviation of doing so is dreadful.

Finally, forgive me, but I dont think your comment about the offers of help having dried up is entirely correct. In the nature of things like this there is an initial flurry of interest and activity, then a hard look at the issues and perhaps a slower and wider appreciation of the consequences.

We are a nation in which it takes time for people to become sufficiently determined to address any restriction of their "rights", but I hope we are determined.