PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PLEASE READ THIS AND HELP SAVE GA IN THE UK - Save the IMCR
Old 12th Dec 2007, 16:06
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing I am curious about is what will happen to instrument training in the UK.

It's obvious almost nobody will do the "EASA IR" and anyway the vast majority of PPL schools cannot train the IR.

Presumably it will be possible to legally teach instrument flight but why would anybody bother if they don't get any privileges? It's like the various AOPA add-on module proposals from years ago - they fell flat because it was obvious nobody would do them in the absence of real benefits. Few PPLs train for the sake of it.

And if you can't log the lessons towards something, there is no benefit in going with an instructor. It will be just as good, in fact probably a lot better, to go up with an experienced private pilot and drill holes in clouds around some VOR etc. Lot cheaper too.

On the practical side, anybody instrument capable will still be able to fly in IMC under VFR, as people do all over the world. But, only with an OCAS departure, or only enroute. No instrument approaches in actual IMC, short of a mayday.

If all this comes about, things will get interesting...

Incidentally, Bose, the reason I did not believe the IMCR would end is because I never thought the VFR-only lobby would be able to "arrange" the committee votes to strip the LAPL of the IFR option, against EASA's express previous wishes. But they did it - a very clever move probably organised beforehand.

(posted on both threads)

Justiciar - the LAPL appears to have been stripped of the IFR add-on option.