PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PLEASE READ THIS AND HELP SAVE GA IN THE UK - Save the IMCR
Old 12th Dec 2007, 15:09
Justiciar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have noted how the number of enthusiasts offering help in the first couple of pages has dwindled to practically zero.
I agree - how this has remained a sticky is beyond me. We now have two threads rehearsing the same arguments and trading the same insults. This thread should be for informed debate and nothing more.

Has anyone read the EASA literature on the proposed amendments and new regulations? I may be wrong (usually am) but some of the points to emerge seem to be:
  • Lightening of the Part M regulations for light aircraft maintenance (inherited from JAA)
  • More industry involvement in maintenance oversight and regulation at the expense of the local CAA
  • Proposal of a light aircraft pilot's licence (LAPL) with less onerous and less bureaucratic training requirements
  • The liklihood of additional ratings (and some form of instrument flying rating is mentioned in the consultation)
I know it is fashionable to knock anything European ( and God knows, there is enough to knock) but it seems to me that the movement at EASA is in the right direction. They have inherited onerous regulations from the JAA which they appear to be addressing; the legislation giving them power over flight crew licensing is only now before the European Parliament and some of the changes they would like to make involve a change to the basic Regulation, i.e. it has the go back before the European Parliament. This takes time in Europe just as such changes would take time in the UK, the US or any other country.

Interestingly, a number of proposed changes are in the face of almost universal opposition from a number of national CAAs - perhaps because it involves a devolution of control and responsibility away from them in favour of national associations and industry bodies. Perhaps that has something to do with the hatchet job being performed on them by our own CAA. Lets face it, the boys at Gatwick are not exactly the most progressive bunch on the planet in certain areas.

The creation of a pan European Pilot's licence has alot to recommend it. It may in fact grant greater privileges than the current PPL (remember that the ICAO privileges for VFR flight are greater than the UK currently allows, e.g. VFR on top). It may well be that the loss of the IMCR will be a penalty of this common approach to licensing. I do wonder if this will be short term, until regulations are introduced provising for additional ratings to be added to the LAPL.