PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lagos Fire Service, Why!
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2007, 13:16
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah yes....

Once upon a time at DNMM we had a raging bush-fire, about where the Bristow Shell terminal is nowadays. The grass and the piles of old tires and whatnot had caught light and the fire was spreading rapidly, so that a call went out to the Airport Fire Service.

Within, oh, about fifteen minutes a big fire tender hove into view, blue lights flashing and siren screaming. It pulled up to the conflagration, the brakes went on with a mighty hiss of air, the big diesel engine revved up and the monitor atop the cab drew a bead on the blaze.

I was looking forward to this; I had never seen one of these big fire tenders in action!

There was a "Whoosh!" as a gout of foam came out of the nozzle but in the next millisecond it went to a pathetic dribble down the front of the cab, forming a very small puddle on the ramp.

It would seem that "someone" had sold off the water (a rather valuable commodity in Lagos terms) from the tender, so that it was just parked there at the Fire Station empty. Good that it was a bush-fire and not a real crash, eh?

They finally got another tender to come and put the fire out. The whole charade took about 30 minutes, I guess. So much for expecting a quick response. To say that I was disappointed would have been an understatement.

Well, that was then (about 20 years ago, I guess) and this is now. Perhaps everything in Lagos has been straightened out since then. I doubt it but that is still to say that we all should do our best, as with this well-meant
suggestion, to enhance safety as and when we can.

Good luck to you all with that.