PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 12th Dec 2007, 11:49
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Reminds me of an incident in Lagos (at least I think it was Lagos) last year. Friend of mine was landing a Virgin Nigeria 737-400 when he struck severe wind-shear shortly before touch down. Having coped successfully he then touched down on a very wet runway with standing water from the local CB that just went through. During the taxiing to the stand he saw a 737-300 appear out of the murk and blinding rain on final and he suggested to ATC that all aircraft should be warned of turbulence and severe windshear at the threshold. ATC then made a radio call to the close-in 737 asking him if he had received the transmission from the landed Virgin Nigeria 737. The pilot replied words to the effect of "Shut up - we are not interested and too busy right now".

Shortly after touch down which was a long way down the flooded runway, the 737 skidded sideways off the the runway - the nose wheel broke off and the aircraft came to a grinding halt thoroughly bogged san bits and pieces of engines. A thoroughly deserved result.