PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2001, 22:58
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just had a holiday so my packing qualification is current. I'd be happy to volunteer!

Much has already been said about the last public session so here's one or two points that I picked up on.

Air Cdr Crawford commented that the crews were dealing on an almost daily basis with the problems of FADEC and FRCs.

Sqn Ldr Burke again gave a strong account of himself.

The AAIB were put under some pressure by their Lordships but maintained their stance that pre impact unserviceability could not be discounted.

The two Air Marshals - The negligence now moves to just prior to the waypoint change "because we know that there were no problems". Sorry, were you there then?
Air Chief Marshal Day stated that he flew the route a few days before this final meeting and that the weather was "remarkably similar" to that of the 2 June.
Sorry, were you there then?

Air Marshal Day commented again that the lighthouse keeper had not heard a change in engine noise. He was then asked why the lighthouse keeper did not hear a change in noise when the aircraft flared. Long pause, no answer forthcoming.

Air Marshal Day then made a comparison of a motorist driving at speed down a foggy motorway and rapidly approaching the rear of an articulated lorry. As he braked, the brakes failed and the driver crashed into the lorry. He said the driver would have been negligent for his actions by going too fast in limited visibility.
Two points.
First, the chance of a lorry being in your path is random - approaching land mass isn't. If you know something is there would you knowingly hurtle towards it?
Second, I think that in such circumstances if the brakes failed, you would have a good chance of suing the manufacturer for a faulty product. But then again, the Government knows about suing manufacturers already. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Mister P. I agree with your comments regarding a formulaic get-out. I personally believe that it was offered to the Air Marshals yesterday but they either could not recognise the offer or were too arrogant to accept.

Again, their Lordships were extremely fair. I can do no more than wait with the rest of everyone interested in this injustice for their decision.

Thanks also to everyone who was able to attend and show their support for Rick and Jon and their families.

Regards as always
Brian
"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook

Edited for layout and podgy finger syndrome.

[ 09 November 2001: Message edited by: Brian Dixon ]