PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tuna Spotting, tuna boat ops (incl Guam)
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2007, 08:27
TunaSandwich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi gilabender

I'd recommend going the "CFI route" and get a thousand or two hours before going out on the boats. Tuna boats are attractive to new pilots (I presume from your post that you are looking for your first job?) as there are no official minimum requirements and your not carrying paying passengers around (oh, plus the fact that you fly shed loads of hours and get paid loads...sometimes). But the reality is that it is tough flying and you would be VERY glad of a thousand or two hours experience once you're out there. Being fluent Spanish would definitely improve your chances of getting a job and I understand there are some large companies in Mexico. Not too much fish out there at the moment I hear but I would think because of that the market prices are high and boats are out there looking, therefore using a lot of pilots.

Sorry if I sound negative but my personal experience out there made feel obliged to give you an honest opinion.
Good luck!

betty_boop

From what I hear Panama is still a great place to start, and I think a large Venezuelan company just moved their operation there. Best thing to do is to take a vacation down there and while you're having a great time (you WILL have a great time) you could pop into the local operators to see whats what, they are usually straight forward. Unlikely anyone will hire you over the phone no matter what your experience, although it can happen. R44 is becoming the most common Helicopter although there are still R22's and H500's out there. Not sure about the visa requirements but you will need a license for the country which operates the heli. Have to be honest though and say that you should get yourself a load more hours before making the effort.

TunaSandwich