PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2001, 15:13
Flatiron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having not contributed to this debate for some 30 pages or so, I beg to raise the question of what sort of remedy people are after. As a pilot, the only opinion that really matters to me is the good/bad opinion of other aviation professionals.

Now, suppose Mr Hoon or some other distinguished civilian(s) in or around Whitehall decide that this is all getting too much. They then come out and say that it is time to move on, the Mull BoI did its best at the time, and a political decision has been taken to amend the BoI findings to ease the pain of the families involved. Will that be good enough? The RAF system carried out the investigation and if 'my' RAF had judged me wrongly, I would only rest in peace if the RAF (not a few 'suits' looking for a quiet life) changed the verdict.

To be frank, politicos and lawyers can change what they will, and wrap it all up in face-saving mumbo-jumbo, but if aircrew in the crewrooms believe it was all a fudge and continue to go around talking about 'no smoke without fire', will that be good enough? Reputations are what matter to aircrew and I fear that the opinion of noble Lords, judges etc will not be sufficient in themselves. If you believe that the RAF took away the Chinook pilots' reputations, you cannot stop until you convince the RAF (and no other body) to re-examine the issue.