PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PLEASE READ THIS AND HELP SAVE GA IN THE UK - Save the IMCR
Old 11th Dec 2007, 21:25
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday Driver

It is indeed a shame and I regret the way this thread has deteriorated. I am sorry. However you should not under estimate the strenght of support.

Firsly, in case you did not follow the thread you should visit the petition and note the number of pilots already signed up. This has occured with no publicity other than that which has taken place on PPRuNe.

Secondly, there are people who have a different agenda, or one that is less than clear. It is in the nature of debates of this sort that they will vent their views. This forms an important part of the debate. By definition they are likely to be as vociferous as those in favour. However, I can assure you by the number of emails and posts I have had that there are many, who although they have not posted, have closely followed and support this campaign.

Thirdly, there are already a few of us who are working together to increase the profile of this issue. There will very shortly be a dedicated web site. There is already a petition. There will be far wider representation.

Forthly, consider this as a starter for ten posted else where.

"Here are some observations to think about:

Controlled flight into terrain (CFIT) accounted for 30% of all fatalities between 1995 and 2004. There were 3,000 fatalities in consequence. (Source: CAA SRG 2006). In a similar length of time (1985 to 1994) CFIT and loss of control in IMC involving aircraft with a MTOW of 5,700 kg or less accounted for 28.5% of all accidents. (Source CAP 887 CAA Safety Regulation Group).

The SRG noted as follows:

“Typically, the CFIT accident involved the more mature and experienced pilot who, despite his experience, seemed to be oblivious to the dangers of continuing the flight into deteriorating weather conditions.”

The reports observes

“Usually, training for the Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL) takes place in good weather and with the advent of more candidates training for the PPL overseas, this trend is likely to increase”

and concludes

“It was considered that PPL training should be subjected to a greater level of CAA oversight to ensure that the best information is made available to candidates particularly in the areas of weather appreciation, calculation of safety altitude, flight planning and diversion techniques.”

The IMCr training syllabus incorporates all of the components of the SRG’s conclusion.

Loss of control in IMC was identified as the fourth most common accident type in the same report. The report states

"Three quarters of the pilots involved were attempting to fly in IMC when not qualified to do so."

IMCr training would have enabled the majoity of these pilots to avoid these accidents."

This is just part of the reason why preserving the IMCr is so important.

As has been pointed out on here on numerous occasions the JAA IR is not a viable alternative for most private pilots. The FAA IR is an attractive alternative but the concerns about its use in Europe continue unabated.

Moreover an IR extends the priviliges of an IMCr beyond that which many private pilots require.

If you believe in flight safety and take on board the statistics and findings above I think we have a duty to support this initiative.

I commend it to you.

Please let us know your views?