PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS B744 gets stuck turning at the end of the runway in Antigua!!!
Old 11th Dec 2007, 17:48
cargo boy
I've only made a few posts so I don't feel the need to order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camprax
I believe you have no idea about the layout of TAPA Airport
Kiddie... you may be familiar with Antigua but don't presume you know what it is like taxiing a B744 there. Considering that I regularly fly the B744 into ANU, I am at least qualified to express my opinion on the standard of the infrastructure there.

Originally Posted by camprax
777s, 340s, 747s, DC8s all are 3-4 times weekly and have never skidded off the runway.
Maybe so, but it's only been thanks to the extreme skill of the pilots who have to negotiate the back to front turning circle. You have obviously never done it in anything bigger than a Spamcan but if you are ever fortunate enough to have to do it in a B744, when it is wet on the ground, you will realise how easily the a/c does not want to go where the nose wheel is telling it.

At least in this case, the only damage was 6 new tyres. Two nosewheel and four wing gear.

Now, where do you presume that NPA's are a problem for me? The only time I would need one was when unable to commit to a visual approach there. That aside, I am qualified to perform RNAV approaches, albeit only once the CAA give the airline approval.

My point, that you have so obviousy missed, was that for so many years the country has begged for the visitors to fly in to their island, in competition with all the other island states but have failed to re-invest some of the revenue from all that tourism back into the airport infrastructure. Luckily for them, the RNAV solution will save them a few more quid.

Now, about that stupid, unfinished parallel taxiway... don't get me started.