PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nausea during instrument flying
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2007, 15:31
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I had the exact same situation as you. Don't fret, it's just a phase and even if you don't get over it properly you won't ever have to do it again after CPL training (unless you want to become an FI). I know the feeling when it happens, you think your world is about to cave in and you've lost your chance to become a Professional Pilot. My advice to you is rubbish that thought straight away!

The key is to keep current with your CPL training. Don’t leave large gaps and don’t do too many manoeuvres in one flight. Limit it to 1 or 2. These can be combined with your NAV exercises (on the return leg for example).

Your instructor shouldn’t be scaring you with comments like "you may have to say bye bye to flying if you don't adjust!". He obviously doesn’t appreciate what it means to be a pilot susceptible to nausea. Increased sensitivety to angular acceleration (which is what induces nausea) hones good and precise flying skills - just ask any seasoned acrobatic pilot. I suffered quite badly during the first 2/3 lessons doing spiral dives both under the hood and VFR. I'm convinced my instructor's attitude helped me out. He helped me because he’d seen it a hundred times before and knew that it was a perfectly recoverable situation for 99% of people (he’s words)