PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS
Thread: GPS
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2007, 14:03
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you read radeng's post? Here is a professional RADIO ENGINEER, taking time to explain (again) why the use of untested electronic equipment on commercial aircraft is undesirable and your reply?
Nothing personal taken...I did read radeng's post and of course I'm not going to disagree with him...but if I took the line that everything could interfere with anything in a plane then I'd fly around with nothing but a whiskey compass, which would be silly!

It is also tested for emmission safety by Federal and US and other authorities. I know this because I can read it in the documentation supplied with my Garmin GPS.
Exactly, GPS sytems like the one orginally asked about have been tested for use in aircraft.

To show more confused thinking, you then state that mobile phones are a completely different matter and should be banned (to try and exclude your little toy from the ban) and complete your grand sweep by saying:
With respect, I am not confused about this at all...in the aviation world a transceiver is radio device (usually handheld in this case) which transmits speech on VHF or UHF frequencies (spotters use them to listen to ATC around airports and I carry one with me in the aircraft in case the main VHF unit packs up or I crash).

GPS systems are considered something completely different. If you read the sticky at the top of the ATC forum you will see why use of a VHF transceiver to listen to ATC may be illegal with the exception of airshows for example. The reason I wouldn't recommend using them on the aircraft is that they have the potential if the PTT gets stuck to block the frequency being used without the user knowing...which would have very serious implications.

Mobile phones are again something completely different, as well as radio interference there have also been reports of interference with the ILS and autopilot (among other things) and someone else mentioned DME in the 'Tech Log' forum. But GPS hasn't been known to cause anything like that in GA aircraft and I have no reason to believe it would on an airliner.

Back to the original point....I have no interest in using a GPS system or as you call it 'my little toy' on an airline flight...but the orginal poster asked a fair question and I number of people have answered that it shouldn't be a problem.

PEDs are a pain for CC and I would completely understand a blanket ban.