PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightwatch – 27 VHF outlets being closed
Old 10th Dec 2007, 22:21
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Jacko and Ferris, I’m on side with you on this one, so why the personal attacks?

My visit to the US Automated Flight Service Station in Honolulu, my post on PPRuNe and my subsequent presentation to the Aviation Taskforce all support the continuance of a separate VHF Flightwatch service in Australia.

Yes, I have visited Ausfic in Brisbane, but that was during the day time and I did not know what actually happened at night.

Jacko, I wasn’t

depriving the Aust Gov of tax revenue
as I paid for my flights to Hawaii, accommodation and everything else personally. As I do not earn my income from Air Traffic Control/Flight Service I can make no deductions.

At the present time I am doing everything I can to support you in having an adequately staffed and separate VHF Flightwatch service in Australia. If I’m in the USA to look at Class D towers, surely it is sensible to look at what they do there in relation to Flightwatch – especially if it supports our aims – and communicate that to the powers that be.

Ferris, the 5% of traffic (equaling 5% of the cost) was just an approximation to show that we should spend an adequate amount of money on Flightwatch if we are to compare with the money spent on this vital safety service in another leading aviation country – i.e. the USA.

I realise the USA has economies of scale, however the plan in Australia is to completely remove the separate VHF Flightwatch outlets, so the economies of scale are irrelevant as we are to have zero!

I say again, I do not understand why I am personally attacked in this erroneous way when I’m actually spending my own money in supporting the air traffic controllers, the FSOs and the industry on this. It simply works against us all getting a win.

As it is, it looks as if the Airservices management tend to take little notice of their staff.