PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS
Thread: GPS
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2007, 20:50
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Contacttower
Whipping out my 496 during the flight is not an 'unsupervised experiment' at all.
OK, what is it that you are doing then?

While of course one should always do as you are told by the cabin crew and never argue I think if you have an aviation GPS and want to use it during flight there is no real reason as such why you shouldn't.
So: you will do what the CC tell you to do and never argue ... unless you decide not to do what they tell you and to argue because you think that there is no reason to obey them?

Over the years that this topic (transceiver devices in the cabin of commercial aircraft) has been discussed in PPRuNe, I have always put forward a cautious view. I have suggested that, since we do not know the possible outcomes AND that folks like radeng advise against it, AND that we hear reports of interrupted FD comms, that we should not rush to use them. For this, I am regularly castigated, which I find curious.

Yes, it is confusing when different carriers have different instructions about hand held devices. Well, the rules are the rules and if one carrier says they permit them on their A320s or B777s and another operator of the self same a/c does not - then that is the way it is.

Whether or not folks pilot their GA machine with two GPS units strapped to their goggles - I care not!! When aboard a commercial transport, you follow the rules of the company that you are paying to get you to the destination. That is the same if it is a taxi, a ship or an aircraft.

Do I think the risk of using a transceiver in the cabin is low? Yes. But the risk is unknown and I would like to see air travel continue with its high safety record.