PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Fleets
Thread: Airline Fleets
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2007, 19:34
red 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just like to add a few corrections to some of the statements ref NB, the aircraft was delivered on the 23rd March 1983 to luton landing at 07.57 as stated by Mr Tempsford. I like everyone else in the company were standing outside of the hangar that morning waiting anxiously for the aircraft to arrive, and what a magnificent site it was. Of course the most exciting part of the day was trying to see if it would fit in hangar 7/8, although technically they measured it should fit it wasn't till we tried it that we could see how tight it was and still is. Also reference the first ETOPS aircraft, in fact out of the 6 757 aircraft that Monarch converted to ER config, NJ,NK,KE,JB & NE. NB was not the first choice, G-DRJC was the logical choice but the owner ILFC did not want it altered, therefore as the company had already commited to a very heavy Orlando programme and needed six aircraft NB reluctantly became the next aircraft to be converted. The reason the company did not want to convert NB to ETOPS standard was due to the fact that being such an earlier build aircraft, the amount of modifications involved including major changes to the equipement cooling system was far more extensive than later build aircraft. However the task was completed and it has been a far better aircraft compared to NC (my initials) & ND. Although i do not work for Monarch anymore, i spent a very happy and memorable 16 years working and flying many times on NB and all the others in the fleet and it will be a sad day when those old ones are laid to rest. They certainly made me and the company a lot of money.