PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish MD-83 Crash
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2007, 17:46
pls8xx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one thing I keep coming back to is the location of the crash. With all the photos, you would think that google imagery would confirm the site. For the suggested locations so far, I can't seem to do that.

Reports have been made that said it was near Keciborlu, near Cukuroren, west of Kilic, 12km nw of airport, 7mi west of airport. All this doesn't zero in on a single point. All of these probably have some point of validity, if we had the original statement and the context in which it was given.

The slopes and elevations of the photos would be of great help if we had a topo map of the area. If there is such a map, I can't seem to find it.

That said, I have found one site near the halfway point between Keciborlu and Cukurroren that has many surface features like those in the crash photos. It is 7mi nw of the north end of the runway.

As can be seen below the site has a road that matches the photos, a very clear field downslope from the wing section( in white), and a clear spot for the initial strike location( in red), and many other similarities.

By comparing the above with the runway 50, I find the heading indicated by the strike point to wing section to be about 043 degrees, the offset being almost exactly 9km as seen below.

I can't say how this might enlighten us as to a possible cause of the crash.