PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2007, 16:31
davaar lad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions?

I have butted out of this discussion for 12+ years and have to admit that my personal and professional interest is respectfully far less than previous contributors.
My first observation, before I come to the question here is;
In terms of injustices there are many but two which stick in my claw.
The first is that the judgement on the crew was so wrong that even a layman can see that.
The second injustice is to the families of of the pax, who will want to have "closure" (yuk) but how can they be confident that the truth concerning events on 2/Jun/94 has been fairly investigated.
So to the questions:
Will the new Inquiry look into the reasons behind the BoI decision ?
By this I mean that Wratten and co. must have known that the verdict was wrong, if they were blind to that then surely it will have been clear to them that it would be controversial (understatement) So, in coming to their Gross Negligence verdict it would be a fair question to ask "in whose name do you come by that decision?" If it is in the name of the RAF, then in the best case scenario the least they would do is undermine moral, tradition, comradeship and honour all the things that bind the services together. Their judgement in itself creates images in my mind of the "lions led by donkeys" from a previous generation.
So,I have to ask why did they come to this conclusion, you do not have to scratch very deep to find that it was wrong.
Until this question of "why" has been answered the conspiracy theorists will keep the issue alive (there are a few of them on this thread)
Was there policy/political/strategic/personal pressure to come up with this verdict?
I assume that Wratten and co were professional aviators, fathers,sons, husbands.
They must have known the effect that their decision would have, I cannot see how any sane person could come up with the verdict they came up with.

rgds

SMK