PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 10th Dec 2007, 16:01
Avpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some new (i think) questions about EK

I went to the "information session" yesterday in Houston. Overall it was a very well-done presentation. The speakers did not seem to be sugar-coating things too much. At times they were quite honest about some of the negative aspects of the job/living in Dubai. As usual, after I arrived back home I remembered several questions I would have liked to ask. Maybe some of you nice folks can help me out on this.

1. This one is from my wife. Due to the laws regarding unmarried women living with a man...when friends of ours visit (females), can they stay with us for the few days that they are in town, or must they stay in a hotel? Does it make any difference the fact that I am married?

2. Regarding the housing options. They laid out 3 options to us. Option 1 is a furnished apartment plus a 1 time allowance of about $900USD. Option 2 is an un-furnished apartment plus the $8175USD one time allowance to buy stuff. Option 3 is the yearly $34,545USD plus the one time $8175USD and no accomodations. We are leaning toward option 2 but are curious about the cost of furniture there. Will the $8kUSD cover most or all of what we need for the 3 bedroom apartment?

3. I currently live in the U.S.A. (Houston TX). I am interested in hearing from some expats from the U.S. about cost of living, other than real estate/apartment rental. I know those are expensive. I see that gasoline is less expensive, cars seem less expensive, electronics a little less expensive, etc. In the briefing, they quoted a buffet-style dinner at $27USD. Is that the price for 1 person?? That seems expensive. What about cell-phones/internet?

4. Speaking of internet. How much are internet/television censored? Can I get HBO, etc.? Are there ways around the censorship of internet? I'm not a huge fan of the government controlling what I am allowed to read/see.

5. How much does an average stby ticket cost you back to the states?

6. How's the medical coverage for elective things like LASIK, etc.?

7. Are there any laws that are dangerous for expats (other than the drunk driving laws)? How about if you are in an automobile accident and have an accident that injures someone, for example. Can I be put in jail for things like that? Other laws that have serious consequences that I should know about?

Thanks for all of your help. This is a huge decision, as it was when you joined. I do appreciate your time.