PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good Air Novels??
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2001, 00:33
Snapshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piston Broke,
thanks for bringing up 'Flight of the Mew Gull'. I must say, I only read it because of how Alex inspired me as a lad. My school was not 500 yards from the flight sheds from where he and his team tested the aircraft in those 'dark days'.
He gave me a copy when we were together last year and WHAT a read. Alex told me that he actually had/has more affection for the Mew than the Spitfire but most people for obvious reasons always associate him with the famous fighter.
Anyone who reads this book shall, in my opinion, agree that men like Alex Henshaw definitely put the 'Great' back in Great Britain. Shame our country has now gone to the dogs (in my opinion).

As you shall know, when he did this incredible flight to the Cape, there were no radios and nav aids like today, he was lucky to have the local natives light a few oil drums on the agreed day and time to mark a refuelling point or way point. What a star, I feel extremely privileged to call him a friend.
By the way, (this is not a sales pitch, if anyone does want a copy of 'Sigh for a Merlin', I can get copies)

Alex with Winston during a visit to Castle Bromwich by the PM.
Snappers

[ 30 July 2001: Message edited by: Snapshot ]