PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 9th Dec 2007, 17:15
HolidayPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Large Airplanes

I like the guys who state, “no one knows their airplane like the Captain”

What a crock of s*&%. I’ve been flying for over 18 years. When I flew heavies > 348 Metric tones as a Captain and Instructor pilot the only thing you knew about your airplane (If not displayed on the panel) was what other people told you. The wings, can’t see those from the front, fuselage – can’t see that either, the Engines – maybe the outboards, but can’t see the inboards. What is going on 200’ back in the cabin? You’ll have to ask.

So lets assume you’ve been de-iced. Someone calls and says you should de-ice. What do you do? You get off your bottom and go take a look. Just because you’ve de-iced doesn’t guarantee it worked or the conditions are such where you’ll need to do it again or the snow is so heavy de-icing can’t help.

When you fly heavies you better listen to people outside and in the back of the aircraft. They have a lot better view than you.

Arrogance and assuming it will work because it always does will shorten your career.