PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2007, 12:11
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Cazatou,
The fact that the BoI felt unable to agree (your words) may have been because of the limited amount of available evidence that they had to work with (I don’t know because I wasn’t there). However, what is clear is that the BoI President adhered to the rule in place – that in order to find deceased aircrew of negligence, there had to be absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

The AAIB Inspector stated that there was "no evidence of any technical malfunction which could have caused the crash." Famously he went on to add "that doesn't mean there wasn't one". True, but so is the corollary - it doesn't mean there was one either.
So which was it? Was there technical failure, or wasn't there? I recall the AAIB Inspector stating that the pre-impact serviceability of the aircraft couldn't be positively determined.

Absolutely no doubt whatsoever? Nowhere near close.

Also, to answer your point about there being no repeat of the tragedy:
Whilst no loss of life, there are still problems with the FADEC. See this, taken from the Chinook Display Team Website:
The Biggin Hill Air Show, 02 - 03 June 2007- High Temperatures and High Drama

In a remarkable change from the wet weather at Southend, Dave, Andy and Bob enjoyed a scorching Biggin Hill International Air Fair over the weekend of June 2 nd and 3 rd with sunshine all day long on both days and temperatures in the high 20s. This was a busy show for the team with the aircraft being involved in three separate phases of the varied flying program. It provided a jump platform for the Princess of Wales' Royal Regt "Tigers" Parachute Display Team, then got involved in the RAF Role Demonstration, and went on to perform it’s own individual display.

Saturday’s solo display provided an unexpected event for the crew in the form of a "FADEC" (engine computer control) malfunction approximately half way through the routine. This occurred when the aircraft was at one of its more extreme attitudes and, once recovered to "straight and level", the problem was assessed fully and as a precautionary measure the remainder of Saturday’s display had to be aborted. With groundcrew in attendance the fault was rectified though, so come Sunday the crew were able to repeat their appearance with the Tigers, and during the Role Demo, and this time completed a full solo display to a crowd estimated as being 45,000 strong on each day.

Arkroyal - Hope you are well. Glad to have been of service

My best, as always.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook

Edited following the wise counsel from BEagle - Thank you

Last edited by Brian Dixon; 9th Dec 2007 at 16:25.