PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Underwater Egress Training
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2007, 00:54
dhc2widow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for allowing it to stay, and I apologize for my lack of decorum.

Perhaps it will help if I elaborate my concern.

I believe, as I'm sure most (if not all) of you do, that safety is of utmost importance, and that risks should be mitigated as much as possible.

The use of seaplanes for commercial transport is not exclusive to Canada, or indeed North America. I think that it would bear out that their use is most often in places where the weather can be extremely variable, as can the water conditions for take-off and landings. When seaplane accidents occur, more often that not, the a/c ends up in the water ... and very often inverted. The occupants become trapped, and even if uninjured, end up drowning because they are unable to escape or unable to escape and don their life jackets.

I believe that inflatable PFDs should be handed out like boarding passes for commercial seaplane flights, and that pax (and pilots) should be required to wear said PFDs in all phases of flight. This would be a very good step in mitigating the risk of drowning.

However, certainly here in Canada, the government is unwilling to make this mandatory. That being said, I believe that you, as pilots, must take the steps to keep yourselves safe. To my amazement, there are still seaplane pilots out there who do not wear their PFDs and so I ask myself, why?

Well, I think a big part of it is not understanding the risks themselves. Hence my questions about underwater egress training. By reading the comments about HUET in the Rotorhead forum, it is clear how beneficial it is deemed by these pilots.

And for the record, I was interested in, and promoting, egress training long before I was offered a job.