PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Roll-Yaw cross-coupling in a hover?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2007, 12:23
Simon853

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shawn,
No, I'm not trying to fix everything. There are limits to what I can do based upon the implementation of the underlying flight model. I'm just seeking to improve things as much as I can and am concentrating on low speed flight.
There's a lot more that could be done but that would involve pulling apart and rewriting a lot of the low-level behavioural stuff for specific models, whereas I'm trying to write a program that runs alongside FS and augments what's already there for any helicopter.

At something below about 5 KIAS, the rotor slows to zero RPM.... (Not like the real thing, I can assure you).
Yeah, I got (only) about 19 hours in S300 from a couple of years ago but had to quit when I lost the C1 medical. It's all beginning to fade from memory a little, but enough's still there to help my work! Microsoft's modelling does not take relative airflow into account on the rotor, which is why forward airspeed dictates rotor rpm in it, and there's no rotor speed change during flares. (Dodo's 206 does that though, but the scope of their work was a lot more focused and aircraft specific that what I'm currently doing.)

If anyone has FS2004 or FSX and wants to give it a go, an early version of my program can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ehmj9ds4h1n
Note that it is a work in progress and a lot of the responses are using imprecise placeholder code until the proper maths is worked out. Things that are blatantly wrong are probably out of my control within the scope of this project. If you use FS2004 rather than FSX then you might want to disable the Low IAS instability as it's already far more unstable than MS's FSX imlpementation. You need to download an interface dll called FSUIPC (Google it) for it to work. Remember to leave the program running when you run FS.
Feel free to PM me any suggestions.
Regards,
Si