PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 8th Dec 2007, 10:50
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, let me offer to find out definitively what the regulator means by "adhere" if this should turn out to be an issue.

Second, there is clearly a cultural difference being discussed, but I am not sure people have put the finger on the difference. Let me attempt to do so by commenting on the post from BRACKET04, who has identified himherself as living in Spain.
Originally Posted by BRACKET04
Yes. there is a silence. Iberia has a good reputation regarding safety and good airmanship. No body wants to blame a 340 crew with a high level of experience just because a pilot who nobody knows put a post in PPRuNe.
The first point heshe makes (Point 1) concerns the reputation and history of the pilots whose actions are being discussed, and comparing with the (relatively weak, informal) actions of the commentator (posting a comment on an anonymous pilots forum). And the former comes out the winner; BRACKET infers that is also so for others in Spain ("nobody wants").
Originally Posted by BRACKET04
This does not seem to be trying to improve safety but just a kind of blame that this pilot should do "face to face" with that captain and not hiding his face in this forum.
Point 2: heshe says this is not an issue about improving safety.

Point 3: heshe suggests that the dispute should be differently handled by a different set of actions.

Now, I think it would be mistaken to say that so-called "northern" cultures are less concerned about social status and behavior (Points 1 and 3) than Mediterrean cultures. But they may be more inclined to think that they are universal ("everybody does like we do; or should").

I think the real difference, the one that may be unbridgeable, comes with Point 2.

Let me show how by taking sides. I find it incomprehensible (and I mean that word in a literal sense) that someone could think that this discussion is not about safety.

One could imagine (I speculate; it is for BRACKET to correct me if I am wrong) that heshe means rather to say that the discussion is *less* about safety and *more* about social status. But this is a fact that can be tested: count up the number of serious posts about deicing and flying with ice, and the number of serious posts about status (I don't mean the ones saying "I can't believe you people are saying ....."+25 perjoratives, but those expressing views on the priority: "it's captain's judgement; he judged it; end of story", or "the captain should be relieved of his command"). We will see that the serious "safety" posts vastly outweigh the serious "status" posts. So a view that the discussion is less about safety than about status would be simply wrong.

PBL

Last edited by PBL; 8th Dec 2007 at 11:01.