PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You couldn't make it up!!
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2007, 08:40
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f27bmaw
The best way to get a response is to end the letter by saying that you will be phoning his constituency office to make an appointment to meet with him to discuss this further. Ensure that you do (and that when you make the appointment you let them know that you wish to discuss the contents of the letter) and when you meet with him make sure that you are fully briefed on the issue and can explain why his help is needed, what you need him to do and why it is important.
I don't doubt this is good advice, but there are 2 significant problems:

1. Many members of the armed forces are effectively disenfranchised - I would guess that a good 50% don't even have a vote any more because they aren't registered. I would guess that most constituency staff look at the electoral roll when receiving letters and I presume they discount those who aren't.

2. Of those who do maintain the vote, the easiest way is to stay with one constituency throughout your time (the one you were in before joining). Unfortunately, though, this will normally mean you are hundreds of miles away from the constituency office such that what you suggest is simply not practicable.

It was suggested some time ago on this forum that the best way to get the attention of a particular MP (eg SoS Def), was for us all to register as voters in his/her constituency. If 50% of the RAF registered, that would be about 20,000 people, enough to scare most MPs sh!tless. Can't recall if there was some reason this wouldn't be allowed though...

STH