PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2007, 07:28
DEL Mode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Operational Task

OilCan,

That is the exact point. What was the operational task that prevented the Nimrod MR2 being maintained and operated to an equivalent civil standard. It has been established by the BOI that the "as maintained" configuration was not safe.

I would ask the critics on here to clarify what is the difference between an operational task and a civil sector. Both require the aircraft to depart at the planned time. In fact as the civil sector will have financial implications to the owner, and they do not have spare frames, I would suggest the pressure to acheive the "operational task" is greater. The difference is proper investment in maintenance is mandated.

I would suggest that most modern warfare requires pre-planned sorties as part of packages, and the concept of running to the aircraft, mid maintenance, because the bad guys are coming is bo**ocks.

The bottom line is that to meet the operational task, the correct funding needs to be available, and independent oversight of standards and practises needs to carry a big stick.