PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 8th Dec 2007, 07:13
DK_FCI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying
I would venture to guess that dry snow falling on a flying surface below freezing temperature in air below freezing temperature at low humidity (M03/M11 as reported in the METAR) does not adhere. Note also that adhere is the word used in the FAR previously cited.
Originally Posted by Quote from my FCOM
Take-off must not be attempted if snow, ice or frost are present in any amount on the wings, upper fuselage and tail surfaces of the airplane. As a consequence of this requirement, the following general precautions must be observed in cold weather operations:

(1) Contrary to the misconception that only the forward section aerodynamic surfaces are critical areas, all areas of the wings and tail surfaces and their attached control surfaces, and the upper fuselage, are critical areas as regards the effect of frozen contamination.

(2) It must never be assumed that an apparently dry and loose form of frozen moisture, for example, dry snow, will be removed by the slipstream during the initial take-off roll. For instance, a dry snowfall that remains free and uncompacted on the ground may melt and later refreeze to form an adhesive layer on the surfaces of an airplane just removed from a hangar.

(3)........
Yes RatherBeFlying the FAR uses the word adhere but check the quote from my FCOM above.

Last edited by DK_FCI; 8th Dec 2007 at 07:41.