PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 8th Dec 2007, 02:43
itsthatphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where can i fly with an faa ticket?

hi guys,

I am a UK citizen and am thinking of pursuing helicopter flight training with a view to gaining my cpl[h].

This has been my dream for over a decade now but it is only now that after a lot of saving I may be in a position to afford the training cost without having to resort to a crippling bank loan. I reckon that in the summer I will have about £40k / $80k in liquid funds. I would be looking to train in the US but would appreciate some advice regarding the FAA licence.

First and foremost, if I were to pursue the FAA ticket, will I be able to find employment once my student visa expires? Would I have to formally emigrate, get a green card etc. or are there other alternatives?

Secondly, what other countries would allow me to work using the FAA licence without the need for further training and/or licence conversion?

Please note, I don't have anything against the JAA licence per se, its just that I can't justify the cost to myself and believe that with the funds I have available I should be able to obtain the FAA CPL and have a fair amount of capital left to travel around to pursue CFI work and to fund my basic living costs until I have earned enough hours for a reasonably well paid flying job.
I have also had enough of our fair isle and would jump at the chance to see more of the world as I pursue a flying career.

Lastly, if I have to emigrate formally, would it be easier to do so as a student pilot [i.e. no job as yet] or by using my current professional status?

I look forward to your replies.
Best Regards,

Phil.