PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FJ or Fighter Pilots HARD QUESTIONS
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2001, 03:53
Busta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L&S

Lots of stuff in this thread but nobody has mentioned the pk of AAM's; it's got better over the years but despite the sales patter it's still fairly dire.

I had the pleasure of flying F4's for the best part of ten years and enjoyed several practice firings; despite carefully controlled conditions, lots of practice and well prepared systems the results were problematic - as far as I know aim9l's and seasplash are still in use.

So even with BVR and 'over your shoulder' the outcome is uncertain before countermeasures are considered. You may not plan on a knife fight in a telephone box but it can't be ignored. As I recall, during a 1v1 ( or worse! ) whilst a lot of effort was spent trying for a 'close in' missile or guns kill, at least half of what little brain power remained was looking for a way out. With a more manouvreable airplane than an F4 (not difficult) and no gun I think that all my effort would be directed towards fighting another day!

As a matter of interest, during TLP I had the unrepeatable experience of watching guns tracking film on an RCAF F18 taken by a GAF F104, 2 seconds on the back of the canopy - JAM THAT!

Be careful out there.