PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - technical problems with supercooled diesel fuel in C172 Thielert?
Old 7th Dec 2007, 14:06
lusthansa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
technical problems with supercooled diesel fuel in C172 Thielert?

Hello, yet in this winter I plan to fly with a Thielert Engine C172 Diesel (IFR). I do not yet have a POH available from the charter company. But I have heard rumours saying that the A/C - when being equipped with the diesel engine - has a minimum fuel system temperature? How big is this number? I heard ... something around 32°F? This is still a quite "warm" temperature! I mean ... in the winter ... in FL 100, which is a totally normal GA - FLT cruising level ... it can easy cool down to -20°F etc.. Is a C172 with Diesel engine equipped in a manner that allows whilst flying with max. endurance speed to maintain a fuel temperature in excess of 32°F? E.g. by tank cell insulation? Or how did the Thielert engineers solve this problem?

Is there a fuel system temperature gauge and / or -indication in the cockpit?

What happens to diesel fuel when being cooled below 32°F? Does it flocculate or / and does the engine stall / cease its service? Any practical experiences / incident / accident reports are welcome. Yours ... lusthansa