PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2007, 08:34
Follow Me Through

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Note Of Caution

Gentlemen
As ex-RAF aircrew living overseas I am extremely grateful to be able to be able to keep abreast of this sad episode. Thank you all who contribute.
After reading the BOI with interest I was dismayed to read the recomendation that voice data recorders should be installed in aircraft. The BOI into the loss of XV193 at Blair Athol in 1993 was hampered by a similar lack of voice data. Having lost colleagues in that accident imagine my dismay to read a previous BOI, following the loss of XV216 in 1971 at Pisa, the recommendation for voice data recorders to be installed. I had ignorantly thought that a BOI recommendation would be followed. It is frustrating that 36 years later we are still not doing our utmost to follow the advice of a team of experts who investigate these sorry events. I fully understand that voice data would not have prevented these accidents but any BOI deserves as much data that could be made available to assist them.
Two final thoughts - Firstly, I was impressed that the Sec of State said " I am sorry". That honesty is long overdue from this Government. Finally, my thoughts are with the families of a team of fine aviators that died doing their bit. For that I am personally grateful.
Fly Safe.