PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS
Thread: GPS
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2007, 22:35
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking as Cabin Crew, the whole PED thing is a minefield - The sheer volume of variations in manufacturer design and performance of each kind of device renders individual decisions by crew members impossible. Squabbling with customers about the PED restrictions has become a more frequent, and more tedious part of my working life. Although not in this case, many customers have an incomplete understanding of the nature of their own equipment: Others understand very well, but simply refuse to accept prohibition. Against this background, the only safe and effective method to trap all the possible scenarios IMHO is a blanket ban.

The thing that always fascinates is - why is it so vital to make that phone call or connect that Blackberry now? It rarely seems to be a life or death situation, where a further delay in switching on for 10 minutes or less would result in human suffering? Are people really so busy and time starved that they cannot turn a laptop off 10 minutes before landing? Maybe I'm wrong - but I suspect that the number of people for whom time is actually this critical is far fewer than the number who believe it to be so, about themselves.