PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 6th Dec 2007, 22:01
jetrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emirates secret selection criteria

Hi,

Recently joined the selection program at Emirates.
They changed the schedule, now day one and two are interviews, assessments, Advanced Compass Testing and psychometric tests, day three is simulator check and medical.
Apparently because about 50% of the new hired pilots leave again in the first three years, the term "Emirates flight crew selection program" is better discribed as "Emirates motivational selection program".
You do not get any feedback why you are not invited after two days of testing to continue to the third day, where simulator and medical are planned.
From our group of twelve people only four got through. When you carefully look at the people that passed, all four had cut the ties with their homecountry, sold their house, lived abroad etc. The others all still lived in their home countries and were apparently not eager enough to cut all ties and thus are prone to leave Emirates early.
The first two days of testing are a fake, one of the candidates that got through was in everybodies opinion not suitable, however allready lived abroad.
I personally went in for DEC and was not eager enough to fly untill 65 and told them that I would not sell my house in my homecountry.
So, when you apply, be sure to say that your house is on the market and you are really eager to fly long after 60.
Otherwise you will be called in your hotelroom on the evening of the second day and get the message that you do not meet the requirements to pass to phase 2 of the selection process, the simcheck and medical.
You don't get a reason, but when you look at all the candidates a clear picture comes out that the only selection criterium for phase 1 is motivation to cut all ties with your home country and fly long after 60. (retirement age is 65, free rollators when you are over 60).
I am convinced the selection program is changed because you can't see during a simcheck or medical if a candidate is motivated to stay longer than the avarage three years now apparently normal for newly hired pilots.
So now they first check motivation, and if motivated enough, they check you on the sim and have your medical.

I wish everybody succes in the selection program, wish I had known this one day earlier. Apparently, with the rules that no feedback what so ever is given, and probably a sort of Free Macon's outh to never give out this secret when you join as a interviewer, nowbody ever finds out why he or she is rejected.
Everybody focusses on the technical and psychometric selection and motivation is forgotten. During the interviews and tests interwoven in the questions like "when did you last learn something from your copilot" the real question about motivation to stay with Emirates long after 58 are hidden.

Good luck