PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resignations at KA
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2007, 17:38
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I voted with my feet in 2005... four years was all I could stand of KA's management delivery. The schoolmaster told me even then that I couldn't expect any improvement to my own 'percieved' crap lifestyle; night after night of transporting rubber dogsh1t between Shanghai and Honkers... interspersed with more nights out of bed between Taipei and Honkers; a schedule that was supposed to return into HKG at 0055L. Only about 10% of my TPE trips got back on schedule, but it was OK to carry on continuously with being late returning because it didn't count as a night sector! Yeah, right... add to that recipe some rest periods of 18 to 30 hours and you very quickly discover how tired you are. I did go sick and my doc gave me a week off, but management insisted upon a second opinion... that second opinion from the senior medical man in HKG sent me away for up to six months! True to form, crewing delighted in telling me that as per the Vol.8 that I couldn't leave the country whilst on sick leave! The senior doc soon sorted that out for me and shipped me home for some R&R. However, I had to agree to providing a weekly update to the company (KA) as to my own considered fitness to fly! CC telephoned me every other day to quiz me about my considered fitness to return to flight status... all that with a sick-note from the senior HKG medical man; it beggars belief? I happened to be in a remote area for several days where my mobile wouldn't recieve any service; however, when I did get back with signal range... I got a bollocking for missing my weekly diagnostic report!

By all accounts... nothing much has changed since my departure; however, even considering that I took a flying job that paid me 20% less than KA and that I had to pay a considerable hike in income tax... wild horses (and a payrise) wouldn't drag me back to KA.

I've had a fantastic flying job back here in the UK where my manager's have been both considerate and polite. I've had every weekend off (public holidays included) and I've worked with a bunch of great people. I'm relaxed, fit, and well, and, I look forward to going to work on a Monday morning; whatever the weather! I've now hung-up my flying jacket, but I'm about to make a move to a sunnier (tax free) climate and export some of my aviation knowledge to pilots with 'L' plates... maybe see some of you guys in DXB?

I've never regretted my exodus; there is a life beyond HKG!

Take care 'yall. Oh, yes, and I don't have to keep the Vol.8 down the back of my trousers anymore!