PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2007, 14:01
EdSet100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you care to comment on the admission the ACM was amended to REMOVE max refuelling pressure?
I can comment on that. All of the original information on AAR, including airborne procedures, was in the aircrew technical manual, known as the Book 1. That info related to the MOD 700 "lash up" as it has been called, and the ground refuelling limit of 50 psi was quoted in the book due to insufficient time (war on) to conduct extensive trials. 50 psi was a very safe and sensible limit, given that HDUs pumped at 55psi (AFAICR), anway.

When MOD 715 was introduced, the trials for Tristar on the AEW Nimrod were also going on. It was established, from the manufacturer, (its in the BOI report) that the max pressure in the system on the AEW was 120 psi. We then used the same AEW system as the basis for MOD 715, which was the replacement AAR system.

The aircrew flying manual (Book 3) was then amended to reflect MOD 715 and the upper limit of 120 psi was so high as to be beyond anything we would reach, so it was not published. The previous info in Book 1 was removed. I noted at the time that the pressure limit had disappeared from our manuals but I was informed by the GSU that the new system was capable of much higher pressures, because the manufacturer had said so.

You used the word, "admission" in an accusatory context. Has that word or similar terminology appeared in the BOI report?

Regards
Ed Set