PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish MD-83 Crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2007, 11:39
Mauersegler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks md80forum,
I am nearly sure to have the site, this picture "looks" not so similar, but I have seen this picture before and even tried to match the view. This is why the google earth captions are oriented with the airport . One problem is the optical instruments used, also the optical angle ( tele, normal, wide...) Google earth operates with a artificial reconstruction based on very high altitude fotos. This was taken from a helicopter, I think this explains it. But look at the pictures von Milliyet in Airdisaster, I think this seems to match. Of course the GPS coordinates would be very helpful, anybody here with the information?
Google earth has a low resolution at this area and it could be imposible to resolve in this pictures or who knows how old this fire detection tower is, it could be builded in the recent time and the pictures of google be older (I know that from other areas, from one day to other there were houses and other constructions in google earth). But in the pictures of Milliyet you see a very light shinning road that goes down at the divide of the hill (the road for this building...), I think it is in google earth too.

Also a road comes near the impact site. Another cue is the vegetation, if you see the videos from the news, there is a area with relative high trees (for the zone, of course), and you see the fog/clouds that bring the high humidity there. I think this could only posible in a north (+/-) exposed side, otherwise you will find only shrubs. And there are small snow patches near the summit and others scattered there (yes, it is snow, one picture near the road shows one very clearly). The videos give also a better sense of the altitude difference between the two sites, they zoom a lot to get the views. With pictures, and digital cameras you see sometimes "all crispy" pictures and it is a lot harder to grasp the distances. they show also a concave hill side.
I'm to 95% sure, but only gps data would give us really certainty.