PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 6th Dec 2007, 07:44
Swedish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember that Iberia is a Spanish airline and FARs do not apply.
I work for an European airline and we are allowed to take off with frost on the fuselage and under the wings.
Also when you get that square metre of frost over the landing gear, I usually convince crews that 1 sq m of frost is a lot less hazard than 300 litres of sticky deicing fluid. And if someone tells me that it flows off at 80kts they have never sat behind the wing on take off.
Anyway the reason for posting is last week we had overnight snow here which froze in the morning. It took a deicing truck over 20 mins to remove from the aircraft. Then a deicing release inspector climbed up onto the wing and pronounced the B757 clear for departure. It was a clear morning with no precipitation. 2omins later the B757 reappeared. The cabin crew had inspected the wing and declared that it was not adequately deiced and the crew accepted their professional opinion (over the opinion of the full time deicing release man) and returned to the ramp and were deiced again.
What can we do? Perhaps I should tell the deicing team to climb up on the slippery wing with a mop and clean up the frothy deicing fluid residue!, or should we let the cabin crew release the aircraft?