PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS philosophies
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2007, 05:45
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Young man, this is getting really tedious. Let me try to put another perspective on things.

Originally Posted by punkalouver
I have just responded and perhaps added to 2 very, in my opinion, irresponsible statements.
1) that the actions of the TU-154 crew were rational
You introduce the notion of responsibility. This is not a foreign notion to engineers, but part of most of the codes of conduct of most professional engineering societies.

The engineering facts which you choose not to like, inter alia that, given the decision presented to the Tu-154 crew, it would have been rational for them to choose to go against the TCAS RA, were discovered, as far as I can tell, by me, and have been published in an engineering organ after peer review by two published TCAS experts, one a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society who liked the paper, and one by an engineer for a major ANSP, who did not like what he read but was unable to construct any valid counterarguments.

It is in the code of conduct of many professional engineering societies that if one becomes aware of significant safety issues with engineered systems, one is obliged to make these issues known at least to the profession and to users of these systems. This obligation falls under the concept of "professional responsibility".
I did that, and continue to do so.

Instead, you suggest this very action is "irresponsible". That is a perjorative term. Were you to be a professional engineer and a member of a professional engineering organisation, you would be censured by that organisation for saying such things publically. For most societies censure the public defaming of work of fellow engineering professionals.

Defaming is or course different from technical criticism, which is generally encouraged. But you have been repeatedly asked over almost six months for arguments contravening the engineering fact that you do not like, and you have repeatedly evaded the question. While repeating your defamation.

If you pretend to be a professional, the only way you can get away with that behavior without censure is that this is an anonymous forum and nobody knows who you are. I think that it in general a good thing, because there are all sorts of facts that people don't like and which they attempt to suppress, and it is good to have a place in which they can be brought up and discussed without political consequences. But by the same token I don't think the forum should be used to propagate abuse.

So I'll just ask you to behave like a professional. If you are not sure what that involves, let me suggest you check out a few codes of conduct of engineering societies which are available on the WWW.

PBL