PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blood Pressure / Hypertension thread.
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2007, 21:41
F3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Cessna l plate.
I know exactly what your going through. Over the last few years I have gone through a similar pattern of events culminating in the onset of hypertension.
The definition of hypertension (high BP) according to the CAA is a reading consistently 160/95 or above. There is an algorythm available on the CAA website which shows what can be done to resolve the problem. In my case I've ended up on ACE Inhibitors and a Calcium Channel Blocker to bring the BP reading back to within limits. I'm a couple of years older than you and I'm resigned to the fact that the ciggies and weight will have to go if I'm to have any chance of retaining Class One Medical privileges, and it is a hell of a lot harder to reduce weight now than ten years ago.
Don't let it worry you too much - the AME you go to and the CAA are very helpful. But do reverse the causes as it's a good way of purging your mind of the bad things that have happened as well as being able to carry on enjoying flying which is what life is all about!
Good luck with it.