PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Roll-Yaw cross-coupling in a hover?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2007, 18:41
Simon853

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll-Yaw cross-coupling in a hover?

Further to my recent post about simulating LTE on a computer, I'm trying to address the almost absolute lack of cross-coupling in Microsoft's Flight Simulator. Perhaps someone could help me out here:

If a conventional helicopter is sat in a hover and it is rolled to the left or right, is there any cross-coupled yawing motion? I have Padfield's book on helicopter flight dynamics and he doesn't seem to describe one.

I'm assuming that if the helicopter rolls then the mass of the tail would either add to or subtract from the force generated by the tail rotor. But then again if the weight is distributed evenly fore and aft of the main rotor shaft then this should be nullified. In reality this is unlikely to be the case, with the weight simply distributed within CofG limits though, right?

Essentially I'm trying to identify all (well a few anyway) the factors, both mechanically and pilot-induced that result in hovering instability. (Microsoft seem to tune their flight model to behave like a one of those self-stabilising polystyrene remote controlled toy helis and I'm looking to augment the dynamics to unsettle it in a realistic manner.)

Thanks,

Si