PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Youngster looking for career advice
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2007, 15:43
Witraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geoff,
Welcome to the world of aviation. Now in my 34th year and followed the waves of good times and bad. Having the correct licence, passport and visa's also add to the fun of things. Did my PPL back in Rhodesian days, then CPL and part time instructing and charter work. Moved to the UK and re wrote all the exams for my UK CPL, again for my ATP (didn't have enough hours or cash to do it in one go). Got my first real job flying turbo props. Staying employed proved interesting as the market changed. All those letters written seaking a better position and all the rejections that followed. Had five redundancy letters over the early years, but survived them all except the last which I used to my advantage. Felt down at times, but luck was there somewhere. I have flown in appauling weather around the Scottish Islands, but equally the beauty of landing on the beach on Barra. Now I am very comfortably sitting in the left hand seat of a B777. Charter / Bush flying is brilliant when you are young. Heavy Jets and seeing the world equally cannot be beaten. The moral is enjoy it all, the good and the bad. I am pleased I never gave up and to this day still have a smile when going to work. Oh, and ignore all the moaners and there are plenty of them.
So, Good luck, have fun......enjoy