PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 5th Dec 2007, 13:09
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand where this is going.

First of all, people doubting any part of this story must have another agenda. There are plenty of witnesses to the incident, to the state of weather at the time, and the exchange is on tape. There is a clear acknowledgement from the crew of the aircraft that they were not going to deice, even though everyone else was. And there was repeated questioning of that decision. It's not a rumor. Who cares about "proof"? This isn't going to court.

Second, that a crew in those conditions, with snow on the wing, did not deice, is a serious and potentially fatal lapse of judgement.

Third, it seems the situation about contamination of wings with frozen precipitation is not understood by everyone in the airline pilot community (and some of the comments on this thread go to show it). I find this situation very, very hard to believe (especially after Dryden - let me also refer to Chapter 3 of Beyond Aviation Human Factors, by Maurino, Reason, Johnston and Lee if anyone hasn't read it already. BTW, the Foreword is by the Honorable Mr. Justice Moshansky himself) but it is apparently so. The message needs to get out, by every possible means. It particularly needs to get out to the particular crew concerned.

Anyone disagree? Anyone think that the crew should remain ignorant? Anyone think that they shouldn't know what other people think of their decision? Anyone think that they shouldn't know that even their defenders are suggesting it should have been reported if anyone thinks it was an issue? Anyone think that the airline doesn't have a safety issue with a couple of its employees who apparently don't understand basic aerodynamics? Anyone think this situation doesn't need to be rectified?

Sending messages to authorities and filing reports and so on is phooey. It is the people concerned who need to revise their ideas about wing contamination, and for the airline to check that all its people know. And then the matter is finished. What could be simpler and more effective than bringing it up on the world-famous PPRuNe?

PBL