PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat Pilots In India !!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2007, 12:38
DesiPilot
The Bumblebee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always thought that people who came to India fell in two categories: 1) Who absolutely love it and 2) Who absolutely hate it.

Today in one of the expat group meeting (I am Indian but my wife is american) I met the third kind: People who say it is okay and they are glad that they will not be here forever. My wife falls in third category. I was born here, so I am used to most of the stuff and I guess my skin is thick enough now to ignore most of the inhumane things that happens in India. Will I stay here for long, my guess is no. I moved here because my friends painted an excellent picture how good things are here. I am just pointing out some of the drawbacks in India, of course most Indian pilots have not experienced the better side so they do think this is heaven !!

1) Scheduling/Rostering for most airlines suck. In my airline we do get 15 day roster, but I dont even bother opening it as they never stick to it.
2) Due to shortage of pilots you will fly 6 days a week. When in States I was holding line with 14-16 days off per month and still flying 70-80 hours per month (so poor crew utilisation).
3) CRM although is improving a lot now, I have heard some horror stories from my friends. I've had only one bad experience in a year, so I guess thats not too bad.
4) Even on your days off (weekly) you are not to leave the city without your base managers permission.
5) Taxes: Too high (almost 34%) and I dont see where my tax money is actually being spent.

On the other hand, you will be treated like a king, you will have transportation to and from your home and if you are not working for LCC you will get fed as well.

So, the bottom line is whether you want quality of life or money. In India you will have lots of money but no quality of life. In the west you may not have as much money but better quality of life. In a few years from now I will pick the later one.