PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2007, 09:14
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N7907ZS

Quote:
"All the years I have read pprune the Geordie attitude is to slag off Teesside, perhaps for the new year we might get some constructive conversation on here."

I've only been reading pprune for about 18 months.
Most of the discussion rails against the management of the airport and, from what you can decifer frim the posters, is local to MME/DTV.

I have, over many years, worked at both airports; through the 70's and 80's the management at NCL were much more forward thinking (and aggressive in some ways) whilst those at MME were much more relaxed about what their long term objectives were.
In the 80's and 90's when both were owned by local authorities and their ability to finance expansion was restricted (they were not alllowed to borrow money on the open market) NCL has a distinct advantage as it had very strong cash flow. Again, their management was much more focussed and the had real vision of where they wanted to get to.
The fact that the last but one incumbent in the chair is subject to possible court procedings should not distract from the work done before his arrival. It could also be said that the airport, painful as it was at the time, needed to shake up it's structure if it wanted to continue to be competetive. JP did this but, in most peoples eyes should have moved on after about 3 years.
In regard to grants, I have no knowledge of either securing any significant grant aid but as a previous poster indicated; if you want to apply you have to meet the funding criteria and put a lot of effort into justifying the grant.

There will alwyas be banter from those further North and it goes both ways. But please, don't react just because you don't like some of the messages.

GH