PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish MD-83 Crash
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2007, 06:57
Mauersegler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking at the pictures that I don't wanted to look before, I ellaborated my thoughts a litle:
As the plane touched the terrain it did it at a flat angle, the end of the middle section taking the most of the forces, making a lever system (a long but lighter section in the front, a heavy and short section at the rear) the wing box-middle section withstands the forces and at the point between the front section and the wing box , due to the distances, the force was not as much as at the rear (this would result in lesser damage to the front section). Like sitting in the front of a long bus, you will feel a irregularity of the road (as a vertical acceleration) as the front wheels impact this, but almost nothing as the rear wheels do.
Like the test MD-80 in video, were the force surely was not so big, the tail got detached (from the pictures it looks the same way). Due to the bigger forces and direct damage to the structure (no landing gear here), the engines and further tail section detached also.
The middle section was badly deformed (flattened and fractured). The plane continues gliding due to inertia and aerodynamics (thanks GearDown&Locked!). It goes nose down because of the missing heavy tail/engines, the front section beeing then fully destroyed in an almost explosive way as it touches the ground. This reduces the impact to the middle section. It looks like the bodies of the passangers lied in the area directly around the middle section and in the middle section(the rescue teams collected them to two sites ca. 15 m from the plane in the front and rear areas and there are blue seats in the area). If the front section was badly damaged at the first impact they would have beeing scattered in the path. It would be also improbable that the middle section ends pointing forward and right side up (due to aerodynamical instability). In pictures of the middle section taked direclty from the front it seems that the seats are pointing forwards (but the forces at the first impact would be almost vertical, otherwise the nose would have impacted the ground there), also the right side of the fuselage looks like bursted away (and is free of tree-debris or soil, not likely crushed directly with the surface). See pictures B205_108143_0007 and B205_108143_0004 at http://www.photoshot.com/imageset.js...501&gid=&cid=1

OK, but where is that debris from the forward fuselage? I have been looking for it in the photos too and haven't seen it. Things don't shatter so much as to become invisible. There is a debris field somewhere that we have not seen yet. Either that, or I have become selectively blind.
PBL

Hmmm, if the plane touched ground at say 45 degrees, could the floor of the front section have beeing ripped off and laid under the middle section? and the debris that we see are only the walls/ceiling of it?
#######added######
Looking at the pictures, there could be a debris field at the rear of the middle section ( at 5 o'clock), it is not easy to tell if this is snow or white plane fuselage portions.

Last edited by Mauersegler; 5th Dec 2007 at 07:14.