PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display 'C*ck Ups'
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2007, 23:04
Geezers of Nazareth

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Another USAF one, from the 70's.

An air display, possibly Cranwell or Syerston, was due to have a flypast by a USAF F-111 from RAF Upper Heyford. At the appointed hour the aircraft did the flypast - but not at the correct airfield!
The parachutists gently floating to the ground at Langar were not impressed .

The message by 'mustpost' about the radio commentary reminds me of one from just a few years ago ... the 'crash' landing of the Italian G.222 at the RIAT at RAF Fairford.
At the time I was in the press enclosure, and was watching some people from the local BBC radio (BBC Radio Gloucs or Wilts, or such) preparing for a 'live insert' into their news program. I was also listening to them and their talkback frequency on my scanner , so I heard the cue messages and knew it was 'live'. The reporter was facing away from the runway, telling everybody about the air display, how everything was running smoothly, people enjoying themselves, blah, blah. Behind her (and she was completely oblivious to the event ... ) the G.222 nose-wheel collapsed and the aircraft skidded down the runway.
She 'signed off' from the live broadcast, looked at the sound-man as if to say 'how was that?', and then saw everybody gawping at the carnage on the runway.

Last edited by Geezers of Nazareth; 4th Dec 2007 at 23:05. Reason: grammar and spellling