PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Stretched too far?
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2007, 20:26
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CAS is concerned to keep a balanced force for both now and in the future. In a 'limited' conflict situation some assets are hard pressed and some hardly at all.

The Iraq theatre is has a lower CAS requirement than Afg but both have a common AT need. The SH force is divided and hard pressed in both theatres. There are other assets that are not required in either theatre - E3, F3, Typhoon (at the moment), Hawk, Domine etc.

If the situation changed then the resource usage would change. The trick is to maintain a capability - F3 Air Defence - whilst not completely exhausting the JFH.

The Jaguar Force had no role in the near term and no future in the medium term; they were disbanded. Apparently 2 GR4 Sqns are to be offered up. This may be under the same consideration as the Jaguar Force but recognising that they may have a role in the medium to longer term.

The trick is to maintain capability and the ability to expand and take a capability holiday where possible.