PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish MD-83 Crash
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2007, 12:33
DingerX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PBL:
Well, there are now more photos available. Yes, you can see an area to the rear-right of the aircraft with knocked-down trees, debris, and the rest, but not enough to suggest the thing came sliding through.

But, since we have a little more information, here's what I see:

If that "impact mark" is indeed an impact mark, then it hit wings level, so that the "loss of control" would have to be a fairly straightforward stall. At that point, we would be arguing over the distance covered and the degree of damage sustained. The distance covered is considerable, most of the aircraft disintegrated, and the debris field is some distance from the "impact mark".

If you want some speculation, I'll throw this out:

the aircraft hit, and hit hard on a rising slope. It had enough forward momentum that it was likely flying and not stalled. I have not seen any photos of the engines, but there is no indication of double-engine failure at this time. The impact was severe enough that only the structurally hardest segments (tail and wing area) stayed intact for long. The wing section presumably went airborne, spraying debris, landed and slid a small distance. The "nose" -- actually more than half of the fuselage on an MD-80, and, given the number of souls on board, probably had the majority of passengers -- disintegrated from the force of the impact and the subsequent dynamics.

CFIT remains the most likely suspect. But who knows what the other factors will be?